Closing:Closing in 4 hours
Our ambition is to be the Energy partner of choice for cities, rural heartland, communities, and industry partners. We work with some of New Zealand’s largest asset owners and energy providers to maintain their critical networks and assets across the country and connect every community. Our whole-of-life approach creates positive outcomes for all New Zealanders as we help to reduce carbon emissions, optimise energy and build a better Aotearoa. This is a time of growth for us to add more value to our customers and opportunities for our people in the dynamic Energy sector. There are more than 500 of us in the Energy team and nearly 12,000 nationwide in Downer NZ, and we are committed to being kaitiaki – guardians of New Zealand’s future.
Work alongside our experienced Line Mechanics and learn an essential Trade and valuable skills to become an electrically registered line mechanic. You will be fully supervised while you assist with putting up power poles, power lines, fixing faults, working with transformers, working with crane trucks and bucket trucks. You will get out and about in the Masterton Region, doing hands on physical work, working at heights, off ladders, lifting heavy weights with cranes and working outside in all weather conditions.
Describing yourself as someone who likes to be outside, in sun or snow, is happy to get your hands dirty and has a mechanical aptitude you will get to learn from the best. You will be able to demonstrate an ability to follow instructions, complete job paperwork and hold Health and Safety in high regard.
In addition, you will be a great team contributor with strong interpersonal skills who is keen to learn from your experienced workmates as well as in a formal training course. Your previous work experience will likely include working with machinery and physical work where you have had the opportunity to show initiative and self-manage.
You will need to also have:
- Minimum of NCEA Level 2 passes in English, Mathematics and at least one other subject area
- An electrical background or interest, i.e. completion of a pre-trades course would be an advantage, but not required.
- Current Class 1 full drivers licence (restricted minimum) for manual vehicles and HT licence ideal
A role with the Downer Energy team can advance your career and expand your skills. We offer you the opportunity to join our diverse and inclusive culture, and be part of a great team, working in a collaborative environment. We provide comprehensive training to meet the stringent criteria of our industry, a competitive remuneration package reflective of your skills and experience, and all the tools of trade you need to do your job.
Downer offers more than just the basics you’d expect from a large company. Our employee benefits are designed to develop the whole person, at home and at work. We have partnered with retail, health care, insurance and travel businesses to offer attractive discounts to assist you in everyday life.
- If this sounds like the opportunity for you, head to www.downercareers.co.nz and enter reference number 593886 apply.
- Downer NZ is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Our workplaces are drug and alcohol free – all successful applicants will be required to undertake a Pre-Employment drug test and medical.
- Due to the fast-paced nature of Downer, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change, so don’t delay and make sure you apply as soon as possible.
- Please note we have an in-house recruitment team that manage all our vacancies. No candidates presented through an agency will be considered for any of our roles advertised, unless previously arranged. We would strongly encourage all candidates interested in these roles, to apply directly online through the portal provided otherwise your application will not be considered.